Venice!

Venice!
La Serenissima

Monday, December 6, 2010

Kitchen gadgets – can't live without them!! Can you?

A crazy but practical shopping triumph!

It all started in 1998, after a coffee in Monterey, with an oven thermometer… …
Julian returned from a trip to the West Coast bearing my first US outlet kitchen gadget – he thought I needed to be able to check the accuracy of the oven temperature!!! So, here it was, the famous and, pretty much as new-still in packaging- even now, oven thermometer.


This began a tradition, which is celebrated with every trip to the US. So, as a consequence, I am the proud owner of several pieces of kitchen gadgetry, all by Oxo, with the same soft, ergonomic handles (Julian told me they were for old people – que??!!). The list, in no particular order is –  spatula; garlic crusher; not one, but two vegetable peelers; egg lifter; vegetable julienne slicer; can opener; potato masher; scissors which come apart for washing as an added feature; jar/bottle top remover and a lemon zester. Take it from me, no home is complete without these! Seriously; those ergo handles are the bees knees. 




My latest gift (in this category – I have received lots of others) is an Oxo dish brush and pot scrubber combo. Fantastic!



In addition to this impressive collection, I also have a super duper Trident bread knife that matches my extensive Trident knife collection … therein lies another story …

Many years ago, Julian decided to buy me a set of Trident knives for an anniversary present. When he explained this to the sales assistant, she grew quite alarmed but was reassured that nothing terrible was planned to go with the knives. She obviously relaxed into the concept completely, and was heard to be asking Julian – "So you want the “Psycho” knife or the “Fatal Attraction” knife? …  Answer? “I’ll take both. And a knife block.”

… who says romance is dead???


And of course, once you have these knives, ya need to keep'em sharp, right?


… and then, whip up something fab to eat!!






No comments:

Post a Comment